Smoking only brings ill health effects not only to the smoker but also to the people around inhaling the smoke. In case you do not know, smoking can destroy the lungs. The government of course, discourages smoking but it cannot totally tell all people to abandon the act. So, here in Singapore, the government permits smoking only to selected areas. If you are a smoker, it is imperative that you are aware of smoking bans so you will not be apprehended.
If you are caught smoking in a non smoking area, you can pay a fine or worse, you will be punished many lashings or caning. Since July 1, 2007, smoking has been prohibited in entertainment outlets such as:
- Pubs – Pubs refer to bars that offer or serve foods.
- Bars – Bars refer to a place where alcoholic drinks can be bought or drunk. Sometimes bars serve foods.
- Discos – Discos refer to a place where people party and dance. Music is usually introduced by a DJ.
- Lounges – Lounges refer to a room where people can relax or wait. Lounges can serve foods and drinks.
- Nightclubs – Nightclubs refer to a place of entertainment which is usually open late at night. Nightclubs offer music, dancing and drinks.
If smoking can’t be helped, there should be a designated smoking room within the outlet and/or outdoor smoking corners that are still part of the premises. If you are the owner, you should observe this strictly because you will be held reliable. Last January 1, 2009, the smoking ban included children’s playground, exercise spots, markets, car parks and terminals.