Chefs train their tongue to determine whether or not the food is delectable and satisfactory. For perfume addicts, the nose can be trained to determine one’s perfume profile. There are lots of exercises that you can do to train your nose. After training it, you will know what your perfume profile is. So, how can you train your nose? Here are some exercises:
- Smell things around: If you are still a beginner and you are motivated to learn all the scents, you can start by smelling things around you. You will find it delightful as you learn the smell and scents of aromatic things surrounding you. While you are in the streets, you can consider smelling coffees, herbs, chocolate, teas, mangoes and many more.
- Sniff it out: If you want to smell wood notes, you can go to furniture stores and sniff a wooden chest. If you are drawn into leather, you can buy new leather purse and smell its inside.
- Cook it: Everything has a smell. Even the garlic and the onion you are cooking. The next time you cook, slice an orange or lemon and smell it. You can also consider peaches and plums which are popular fruits used in many perfumes.
- Smell the classics: Some scents now are reformulated. The classic or the reformulated perfumes are still costly. If you hone your nose to some of the classics, you will find an inspiration. However, do not feel obligated. You do not need to love the classics if you do not like it.
- Dab or spray perfume: The next best thing that you can do is dab or spray perfume in strategic locations. For example, you can put it on both arms or your pulse points. You can also dab or spray it at the base of your neck. Try it.
Now that you know how, the next thing that you should do is identify your perfume profile. What does this mean? When you were you child, you vaguely remember the scents of your neighbourhood or your garden. This will influence your taste when you become an adult. You only need to learn the kinds of performs that you are drawn to then make something out of it.
There are lots of perfume categories and clans. It is a joy to discover each one of them. Singaporeans are fond of perfume and if you want to share this information, you can do so. Your fellow Singaporean will surely understand their perfume profile and they will learn how to use their nose. If it turned out that you want to make your own scent, you are free to do that.