Can’t get enough of the bitterness, slight sweetness, and deep flavors of dark chocolate? The good news is that dark chocolate is healthier than its milk chocolate counterpart because of its lower sugar levels. Start exploring other ways to eat the food of the Aztec gods with these dark chocolate recipes.
Dark Chocolate Cake
• Ingredients: ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa, 2 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 2 eggs, 1 cup cold brewed coffee, 1 cup milk, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ cup vegetable oil, and 2 teaspoons vinegar
• Preparation: Preheat oven at 175 degrees C or 350 degrees F, then grease and flour a baking pan (9”x13”). Combine the flour, baking soda, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, then make a well in the center and pour the eggs, milk, coffee, vinegar, and oil. Pour the batter and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool before serving.
Dark Chocolate Pie
• Ingredients: 3 ounces chopped unsweetened chocolate, 1 ¼ cups sugar, 3 cups milk, ¼ cup cornstarch, ¼ teaspoon salt, 4 beaten egg yolks, 3 tablespoons butter, 1 baked pastry shell, and 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
• Preparation: In medium-high heat, combine sugar, salt, and cornstarch, then stir in the milk and chocolate. Remove from heat then stir the filling into egg yolks before boiling the mixture. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla before finally spooning into the pastry shell. Cover and chill for 3 hours.
Dark Chocolate Pudding
• Ingredients: ¼ cup cocoa powder, 2 cups whole milk, ½ cup sugar, ½ cup chopped dark chocolate, 4 teaspoons cornstarch, 2 egg yolks, ¼ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons butter, and 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• Preparation: Whisk while cooking in a saucepan the following ingredients: milk, cocoa powder, sugar, egg yolks, cornstarch, vanilla, and salt. When the mixture simmers, add the butter and chocolate. Continue mixing until it boils, then reduce heat to simmer until the mixture becomes thick. Pour the mixture into small cups, cover the cups, and refrigerate until the pudding sets.
Dark Chocolate and Bourbon Torte
• Ingredients: 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa, ¼ cup Dutch process cocoa, 2 tablespoons bourbon, 4 egg whites, ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar, 2 tablespoons flour, ½ cup whipped topping, ¼ cup milk, 1 large egg, vegetable cooking spray, ½ cup dark chocolate morsel, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, ¼ cup softened butter, and ¾ cup granulated sugar
• Preparation: Preheat oven to 300 degrees then microwave the choco morsels. Beat the butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, egg, milk, bourbon, and melted chocolate. Gradually add the flour and cocoa to the mixture until the ingredients are blended. Beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and granulated sugar. Fold ¼ of the egg white mixture into the batter then pour remaining mixture before pouring into coated pan. Bake for 45 minutes and cool for 30 minutes. Pipe whipped topping on the base of the torte then sprinkle powdered cocoa and sugar.