Expat or expatriate refers to a person permanently or temporarily living in a country outside of his/her upbringing. If you notice, there are many expats here in Singapore. A person will usually move to another place in search for better life. There are unsatisfied expats but then there are happy ones. According to the HSBC 2014 Expat Explorer Survey, Switzerland is the best country for expats.
The results of the survey were published last October 22, 2014. It surveyed more than 9000 expats around the world. The answers were based on different criteria like quality of life, well-being, raising the family and financial matters. Singapore is the second best country for expats. Expats here in Singapore enjoy safety, security, efficiency and high-quality life. It does not end there because expats also noted the vibrancy of food scene plus the harmony of races living here.
Here are other results of the survey:
- Hotspot for high salaries: According to the Expat Explorer Survey, China is the “hotspot for high salaries”. This makes China attractive. Everyone knows about the appalling air quality of its major cities but many expats still consider it. China is ranked the third when it comes to happiest expats. Let it be known that China offers the largest percentage of high-earning expats in the world. Expats in China are earning $300,000 per annum.
- Safe and stable: Expats consider Germany because it offers a safe and stable environment. With this, Germany ranked fourth when it comes to happiest expats.
- Work/life balance: The fifth spot went to Bahrain. Many expats are happy in Bahrain because it offers attractive destinations plus it offers work and life balance. Bahrain is modern but the people there are caring and welcoming.
- Raising a family: New Zealand came in sixth. However, New Zealand topped the best destination for raising a family. The health and well-being platform of New Zealand appears to most of expats parents. Parents believe that there are a lot of opportunities for their children in New Zealand both socially and educationally.
- Affordable living: Thailand is the best place for expats who want to enjoy the lavish life at a lower cost. With this, Thailand is ranked number seven. Expats enjoy cheaper prices here.
Thailand is followed by Taiwan (eighth), India (ninth) and Hong Kong (tenth). When you move to another country, of course there are certain qualities that you will search before you consider the country. There are many considerations but the most important thing is you feel happy and secured together with the family.